Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Sacred Waiting ~ by David Timms

Wow, what can I say about Sacred Waiting by David Timms? Not much actually. It may contain some great insight, wisdom or content, I simply don’t know. I began this book with an open mind, desiring to grow beyond my own impatience in waiting, but what I got instead, was insulted. I made it to chapter 2, and proceeded to read what I honestly consider to be the most incredibly stupid, judgmental and flat-out wrong assessment of a situation I have ever read in a book. I was floored that the author put it in there, and even more shocked that the publisher allowed it (of course any author can say anything they want, but it had NOTHING to do with what was even being discussed)! It was pure political editorializing and had no place here. I tried to read beyond that, I really did. But I just couldn’t complete the book.

~~~

Sacred Waiting
By David Timms


Waiting – the Key to Joy, Peace and Abundance

No one likes to wait. Our irritation level rises in checkout lines, train stations, restaurants, and doctors’ offices. We don’t have time to waste. But Scripture constantly speaks of waiting: “Those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength” (Isaiah 40:31)

The good news is that waiting on God is much more than watching the clock. Waiting plays a vital role in our spiritual foundation as we draw closer to the Lord and respond to His leading. Challenging believers to rediscover this lost spiritual discipline, pastor and Bible professor David Timms reveals the hidden treasures of waiting on God – the peace and joy of being with Him.

The heroes of the faith all waited on God. And just like Abraham, Moses, and David, you’ll find that your best moments arise from God’s timing, not your own. Every covenant God made came at the end of a season of waiting. God’s rewards wait for you when you learn to practice Sacred Waiting.

2 comments:

  1. Just curious, what situation in chapter 2 are you referring to? I have the book and am trying to decide whether to review it or not...can you point out where this section that disturbed you was? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi atw. The author moves from speaking of Abraham's willingness to follow God's direction to sacrifice Isaac, to American's being hoarders and gun owners for the purpose of protecting what they hoard.

    He suggests that because we are afraid of losing our stuff, we own guns solely for the purpose of protecting personal property. He sites figures from the U.S. Dept of Justice, without even recognizing that guns are owned by law enforcement and military, hunters, ranchers who protect their livestock (and themselves) from natural and dangerous predators.

    He doesn't acknowledge that there are people who own guns for personal saftey, for protection from rape, murder, home-invasions and car-jackings. Nor does he make allowance for people involved in shooting as a sport.

    I am not a gun owner, but have shot guns before and enjoy it very much. In addition, I would do anything I could, including deadly force of any type, to protect my family from criminals, psychopaths, pediphiles, terrorists, etc, and I wouldn't think twice about it.

    When the author finished with this tirade of his, he immediately jumped back into what he was talking about when he detoured. Again I state, I have never read anything so stupid, insulting and flat-out wrong in any other book I've ever read.

    There may be some good content contained in the book, but it's not for me.

    ReplyDelete